One of the things that I find hardest about being a mom is longing for the seasons that have passed. It seems like each stage is better than the last and completely incomparable at the same time. So, on days like today you may just find me sitting at home like a hot-mess-emotional-wreck. Half of me wants to snuggle that squishy little newborn again and the other half can’t imagine my sweet little one year old yelling mama at me all day long. What’s a girl to do?!
Write it down.
This is something I always thought I would be great at once I became a mom. I thought I’d keep up with the baby books, journals and various other things I have for jotting down memories but I do it far less often than I would like. I am trying to give myself some grace for that and instead of jotting it down privately I thought I’d share with you everything that’s wonderful about 18-ish months… because it is pretty darn good!
- You have a laugh that is so contagious and a smile that overflows to your eyes.
- I can always find you hiding in a closet, with a little eye peeking out through the crack waiting to yell, “BOO!”
- You hate bedtime but love the snuggles you get with your daddy. When you wake up and he’s gone in the morning, you make sure I know I’m not allowed to use his pillow… because it’s his.
- You say please like “CHEESE” and make the same face you would if there was a camera in front of it.
- You really, really, passionately hate the bath.
- Corn and Oreos are the staples of your diet and I don’t think you’d miss eating other food if you couldn’t.
- Your forehead has had bruises on it for months in a row now because you have only one speed-very fast and not very cautious.
- Every time you see a truck or jeep, you yell papa and then pout when he’s not there.
- You love stuffed animals and always make sure to share your food and boobie milk with them.
- You try to exchange kisses for things you’re not allowed to have.
- Savannah and Bubba are your best friends, you call them nana and bubba.
- You yelled, “Hey turkey!” at me this month while we were playing.
- When grandma is around, dad and I are equivalent to dirt because she does ALL the fun things with you.
- You love to cook and make sure to taste test everything followed by an extra loud MMM!
- You started trying to repeat whatever words we tell you, including my very favourite, “I love you mama.”
I don’t know where the time went or how I find myself looking at a little boy instead of a baby. Someone who has opinions on what kind of clothes he should wear (particularly rubber boots) and what type of food he should eat. You are kind and sweet and there’s not a day that goes by I ever take you for granted. Even though I desperately miss all the time that’s passed, I think this stage is my favourite. I have a feeling it won’t be the last time I say that but it sure is true now. <3
We are so lucky you are ours, Bauz.