- 1 large can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 large onion
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- salt, pepper and basil, to taste
- 2 T. olive oil
- sugar, to taste ( I use about 3 tablespoons)
- In a large pot, heat oil and saute onions and garlic until onions start to become translucent. Remove from pot and set aside to cool.
- Add tomatoes, broth, spices and sugar to the pot. Mix well and bring to a boil. Make sure to cover as the tomato soup will shoot up like volcano and cover your kitchen all while burning you at the same time… Maybe I’m speaking from experience.
- Add onion and garlic to a blender with a little bit of water and blend until it’s completely smooth.
- Add back into pot and simmer for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to combine.
This soup is hands down a staple in our house, as long as you don’t ask James. Soup is quick and easy and because of those reasons I make it ALL. THE. TIME. since having Bauz, now poor James has turned into a soup hater. Anyways, when I make tomato soup, I like to add an obnoxious amount of basil (even better when it’s fresh) and when I have a sweet tooth, the amount of sugar has been known to multiply!
If you are feeding your children this soup, good luck and prepare to wipe down everything within throwing distance. I advice them being in as little clothing as possible! 😀