Ok guys, I have to be perfectly honest about two things:
- There is a serious lack of photos on this post and by serious lack, I mean the one above is the only one. Baking with an almost (OMG!) one year old is a very humbling experience. By the time Bauzley had not only dumped the dog dish but also tried to drink out of it I decided, ain’t nobody got time for that!
- This is my second favourite banana bread recipe. There’s another that is much more decadent and completely terrible for you, but there’s no way to substitute ingredients so that it’s dairy free. Hopefully I will get to enjoy milk products again soon and I will share that one then! Having said that, this truly is SO DELICIOUS!
I especially love this recipe because I always have all the ingredients in the house. I adapted this recipe from one that’s been floating around online for years and years. It’s a one bowl wonder and that is always okay with me! Ok, I’ll get to it now!
- 3 ripe, peeled bananas
- 1/3 C. melted vegan margarine (I use Becel)
- 1/4 C. apple sauce
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 C. sugar (you can add up to 1 C. of sugar- I prefer it less sweet)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 C. all purpose flour
- 1 C. dark chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life brand-they are dairy free)
- Halved pecans as topping
Pre-heat your oven to 350°F and make sure to either oil or spray a loaf pan.
Start by mashing your bananas so they have a fairly smooth consistency and add in melted margarine and apple sauce. Mix in the baking soda and salt. Stir in the sugar, beaten egg, vanilla and flour. Last but not least (probably most important in this house) add in your chocolate chips!
Pour into loaf pan and top with halved pecans. I gently push mine down with a spatula so they don’t all crumble off when I’m cutting it later on. Throw in the oven for about 50-60 minutes. You can test by inserting a skewer in the middle, once it comes out clean it’s ready! After you remove it from the oven, remove from pan immediately and place on a cooling rack. Every other recipe will tell you to wait until it’s completely cooled to serve, I say good luck! Why eat cool banana bread when you can eat it fresh out of the oven!